I'm back in New York for a hot minute right now for a combo business/family holiday trip.
As those of you who have been reading this blog since its B.C. (before California) era know, I have an unreasonable love-affair with Manhattan. I believe it is the greatest city in the world. I believe it was wildly defining to my life. Here, by way of one example, is the post I wrote about leaving it behind for Los Angeles. It's literally a letter to the city, that's how bizarre I am about our "relationship."
Therefore it's only natural that I have an unreasonable and ridiculous list of to-do's during my brief stay back on the island. Here they are, in no particular order. On Friday I will re-post this with details about the success/failure of each!
- I want to run across the street after the DON'T WALK man stops flashing and just goes solid.
- I want some sleazy guy working construction to yell "smile baby" as I stomp down the street.
- I want to see a New York celebrity. Not a Kardashian. Not Cat Deeley. Not some guy who's on CSI. I want someone currently on Broadway, an SVU regular, or, best yet, a member of the SJP clan.
- I want to eat a sesame bagel with veggie cream cheese from Murray's Bagels on 6th Avenue.
- I want some guy on the subway to try and sell me batteries.
- I want some guy on the street to try to get me to support Children's International.
- I want to have zero trouble hailing a cab during a crazy-busy time of day.
- I want to have lots of trouble hailing a cab during a crazy-busy time of day and then say, "screw it, I can walk there faster."
- I want to have one more drink than I probably should. (preferably at The Dove with Dani and Geanna).
- I want to grab one of those deep, round plastic containers full of lettuce, hand it to a man behind a glass partition, bark seven ingredients at him in rapid succession, say "balsamic vinegarette please," and have him hand me a salad, and I want all of that to happen in under 30 seconds.
- I want to be overdressed on purpose, just like everyone else.
- I want to smell the sweet smell of street meat, a street pretzel, a street hot dog, and street bacon out of a coffee cart.
- I want to get a little sweaty from walking too fast.
- I want a large coffee with cream and sugar from Bonsignour on 8th Avenue and Jane Street.
- And, most importantly of all, I want to hear 17+ ads for Empire Carpets while I'm watching The Today Show in the morning so I can sing along (800-588-2300 EMPIIIIIIRE, today!).