It went something like this a week or so ago:
- ME: _________'s girlfriend seems really nice
- R: Yeah, she's ok.
- ME: Oh really? What's wrong with her?
- R: Nothing. She's just got the wandering eye.
- ME: The what?
- R: The wandering eye.
- ME: I don't know what that is.
- R: The wandering eye?
- ME: (eye roll)
- R: It's just the way she looks at other guys - like she's always flirting.
- ME: And this is a thing? Like a thing that you and your buddies pick up on?
- R: Oh absolutely.
- ME: Is it just her or do other girls do this?
- R: Some other girls do it too. Not any I can think of right now, but you know it when you see it.
- ME: Wow. I had no idea this was a thing guys were assessing about other guy's girlfriends.
- R: Oh yeah.
- ME: I think I have to write about this.
- R: Yeah?
- ME: Definitely.
- R: YES!
- ME: What?
- R: Another blog post about me.
- ME: (eye roll)
What's interesting to me is this whole element of guys judging the quality of their friends' girlfriends. I'm ashamed to say that I didn't know they did that. Ashamed because it's sexist to assume that other girls gather around the pedicure chairs and judge the quality of each guy who's come into the fold. Girls would say things like, "He's ok. He just treats her differently when they're alone than when they're in public," or, "he's okay. He just isn't very thoughtful," or, "he's okay. He's just got a bit of the douche."
But even those judgments aren't quite the same as this wandering eye situation. What this suggests is that guys can feel the way a girl treats them and universally know when the tone is flirty versus friendly, and that there's some unspoken understanding they have when this occurs.
It's all very interesting at is applies to the buddy's girlfriend assessment but I think it's even MORE interesting as it applies to the assessment of girls in general. If guys know a wandering eye then do they always know when a single girl is flirting? Are we that transparent? And if so then why aren't more of them asking us (you...) out?
Food for thought slash pedicure chair gossip. Unless of course this is just some crazy thing R and his buddies made up. Wouldn't be the first time...